Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I don't look at you too much
But more and more, like an athlete who steps up his_
_training sessions before a competition,
I slow down to imagine what it would be like
When I'm alone at night, or when
You're out or when I am,
If you should be suddenly gone one day -

Would I break down to cry,
Or would I find myself already too ready
To accept that this is part of the whole scheme of things?
For in my life you have been like a door,
An open one at times, and
A closed one at times, and at times
I wished that the door were gone and I could go out and play;

But this is one of those mornings
I can imagine that irreconcilable chasm
That would inevitably stand between you and me like the Night
Between Yesterday and Today. When I wake up, I would lean_
_against the wall
Cold from the night, recalling
What I was like yesterday, trying to warm myself_
_with the same blood
That flowed in my veins the day before, and the distance,_
_I know,
Would hit me.

And I would feel within my arms
The arms that were shorter and fingers less deft,
Still alive and wanting to reach out and run into your embrace
To hear you say that I have done well
even though my best no longer seems good enough
for the world around me
And I would bring to memory those precious scenes
When you stood beside me in front of the whole school on_
_Prize Giving Day
Proud that I have been your son.

Yet, when I saw you in the morning,
I didn't know what to say to you.
I simply let the day lead me into itself,
Walking into the distance knowing well that one day_
_when I turned around
You would not be there.


Sorry, can't do my linebreaks properly here :|
"_" at the end of the line indicates no line break!

No comments: