Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Third Generation

(Beat: http://youtu.be/Z9gVvxa2sgQ start on the 22nd second)

Education
Language assimilation
Report cards trading for toys
Concentration - no girls for boys
No distractions
No unscreened friends
No unaccounted time
No unclean hands
This is the life of the third generation
Migrant in my blood
Survival in my hands
They taught me how to live
But I'm dead from my core
I can travel the world
But I'm always abroad
I have no language I have no home
I have no culture I call my own
I'm living on borrowed time
Rented apartments constructed lives
I'm whatever I imagine myself to be
My mileage is my history
I'm done with the metaphors of traditions
Of ideologies and of religions
I see the worlds I leave behind and can no longer understand it's what's and why's
Sometimes I dream what it'd be like
If I grew up hokkien or penangnite
Would reality be an unbroken line
Would I sing the same song in different rhymes?
But I'm still rocking it and I still have plans
And retrospection ain't one of them
I wanna see I wanna be
Everything that isn't me
Migrant in my blood
Survival in my hands
They taught me how to live
My Jekyll and my Hyde
I love the day I love the night
And maybe someday I'd love my life
I don't care what my skin may say
I don't care if my accent gives me away
This is what I paid for with sleepless nights
This is my crack, my meth, my ice.

I see visions... Visions
I see visions...

My mind is ever restless
I can't wait to get breathless

Visions...

I don't know where I'm going
But my feet are on the move
I just know it'll be a trip
And there's nothing left to lose
I'll just have to learn to be more laid back
Believe in myself believe in my bet
This is the life of the third generation
I'm free to write a story different than Dad's
Push myself nearer my imagination
My heaven my hell my life my death

No comments: