Thursday, March 08, 2018

#aiproblems #rant

YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, everything is running on AI nowadays and it's getting a little annoying for two reasons: 


(1) they don't learn fast enough to catch up with expectations 


Google board was amazing when i just started using it. But i realized its extremely dependant on me obeying rules like gliding over the actual characters i need. I was set up to expect it to read squiggles in a doctor's prescription but it's not getting there. 


(2) they predict what I'd want based on my history


My YouTube feed is spoilt. There are genres i like but i don't like watching things that are too similar. And i enjoy finding things i never thought I'd watch just like when you channel flip on a TV. But i keep getting the same (identical) videos on my feed - and i tend to remember videos I've watched even when YouTube doesn't. 


Probably because the AI was set up to maximize YouTube's or Facebook's or whatever service's experience of me rather than my experience of them. 


But also maybe these two are the inevitable fingerprints of current AI technology. When you feel like "something's just a little off in the most annoying way" maybe it means somebody's using AI. 

No comments: