Tuesday, January 04, 2005



And now, the end is near, and so I face, the final curtain.
My friend, I'll say it clear,
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.
I've lived, a life that's full, I've traveled each and every highway.
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.
I did, what I had to do, and saw it through, without exemption.
I planned, each charted course, each careful step, along the byway,
and more, much more than this,
I did it my way.



I had Keiko Lee singing that on my radio, and for that while, I really wanted to know if that's how he must have felt like lying on his bed at home. I recalled the stories that were told of him, how when he was young, he used to throw really wild parties that run into the night, with Tiger giving them all the booze they needed, and jumping into the pool running around drunk and all. The parties I remember weren't as wild anymore, but as I recall those evenings around the swimming pool, I can still almost feel the wood and brick under my feet and smell the Christmas air. The queueing up at buffet tables for food, and the chatter of half-familiar voices in the open garden. It seemed all so recent, though I can also recall the years when these parties stopped. And I also recall the year when i refused to change into clothes that were better suited for a party, arguing that it ought be me and not my clothes that were invited to the party - of course in the end, my parents won - but that happening that year became a beacon throwing light on how much in debted my family has been to them.

Imagine, a young doctor, not long after graduation, working for an established doctor - and spending the rest the better part of his life in the very same clinic. It's unheard of in this current society and time, but suddenly i feel linked to some old tradition. And just as much I feel linked to this family.

And it's like suddenly, so suddenly, something's that been there all this while is gone. So fast. I still remember how he used to drink throughout his party and walk around and talk to everybody. I can still hear his voice...

For many reasons, I suddenly feel like he's family. Especially when I think about how his family indirectly has provided for my family, I suddenly realise that somewhere deep inside, they have actually become a little part of me. Really. Family is not just about the poeple who are connected to you by blood.

No comments: